From the team at Atlanta BeltLine…
As we work to complete interim safety improvements to Bill Kennedy Way SE (BKW), Atlanta BeltLine, Inc (ABI) will begin work on the surface of the bridge over I-20. This work is intended to be completed in two phases. Phase 1 is expected to begin tomorrow, February 23rd and be completed April 2nd, but the schedule may be extended due to weather or other unforeseen delays. Phase 1 includes the addition of an 8’ trail on the eastside of the bridge that will be protected by a 2’8” concrete barrier wall that will connect the north and south trail segments.
Reeves Construction Company, the contractor completing the construction and under contract with ABI, recently received permission from the Georgia Department of Transportation to begin phase 1. During phase 1, the westernmost sidewalk will be temporarily closed between the on and off ramps and the southbound travel lane will be closed and shifted over to the northbound turning lane for travel. There will be no impact to the pedestrian travel lane on the eastern side of the bridge during this phase.
Work will take place Monday through Friday from 9am-3:30pm. Some minor traffic delays should be expected. This work will not block any other roads or the entrances to any businesses or homes in the vicinity. Vehicular messaging boards will provide updated information on either side of the bridge on a daily as needed basis. Once we know the schedule for phase two, we will send an email update to the community. Additional details can be found here.
In addition to the work on the bridge, ongoing work along BKW will include:
- Pedestrian lights at the intersections Glenwood Ave SE/BKW and Faith Ave SE/BKW.
- These improvements are going through final approvals with the City of Atlanta and will be operational soon.
- Concrete planters will be installed over the next month and planted in April by Trees Atlanta.
- Permanent pavement markings and trail signage will be installed mid-March.
- Traffic will be impacted for 2-3 days but we will place advance signage and notice for the exact dates of impact.
Thank you for your patience as we enhance safety on this important connecting segment of the Atlanta BeltLine.